Saturday, June 24, 2006

Left Vs. Right

Recently my girlfriend told me I'm a bit too liberal. This conversation started because I told her she was could meet her ex-boyfriend whenever she pleased and I had no problems with it. I'm normally very secure in my relationships even though I get dumped pretty often.

This got me thinking (I do that once in a while). Is mankind so predictable that we can all be dumped in one of two categories? Liberals or Conservatives. Left or Right. I remember watching a show by Chris Rock where he says, no person is any one thing, and I agree with him. So crime, I'm conservative. Alcohol.. I'm liberal. What does that make me? A liberal or a conservative?? Doesn't matter. It just makes me .. me.

Maybe we need to stop getting caught up with stereotypes and start being what we want to be regardless of which group we fit into. What say?

10 comments:

  1. oh no my friend. its not that easy. you are liberal. period. anyone who knows you, knows that. so dont try and get out of the little box we have you marked and stored in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sis directed me to drop in... and hence, I feel obliged to put in my two-penny bit!
    As a Bollywood buff, I really think you can't be anything but Black or White.
    Ergo, you are Liberal.
    Drop on my blog sometime. I am the one below you on your sis' blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But can we really? I mean between the wife, or girfren and fren adn employee and fren and aquantaince and etc etc.. and its male counterparts.. the whole world just becomes one entire shade of grey.. do tell if u manage to live even a part of ur life without resorting to stereotypes.. it would help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so who's the new girlfriend ???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really do think it's unfair to say everyone is black or white. It's like when we were kids we were taught the sky is blue while that's not true, it can be grey, orange, red and a whole lot of other shades. I guess being objective on various subjects (hence the title of the blog) is one way of not adhering to the stereotypes.
    Anand - the new girlfriend hmm... a comment on the blog might not be enough :-) over a drink at Bikes??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:47 PM

    Surya..so this is what takes up your time.."I am busy..have to check some emails.."
    Dude - get a life! Who cares about left or right, black or white, this or that..its the way you like it..and you see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rev,
    So this is what you do when you pretend to be busy? Check out other peoples blogs? You're going to be a mommy soon. Stop wasting time and start readin baby books instead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. done deal, but will u be with the same girl , by the time u come down ot have a drink at bikes ? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Came here through the link on MamMomma's blog.

    I AGREE with you. I could be termed a liberal in some matters and a staunch conservative in others (and neutral/independent in a few).

    I believe life is not only black and white - it also has a lot of shades of gray. And it is not possible to demarcate things only in two categories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops! MADMomma's....

    ...Not what my previous comment says :D

    ReplyDelete